[nflug] cyrus vs dovecot

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Tue Sep 23 13:25:36 EDT 2008

I've been using Cyrus for the better part of 5 years so needless to say
I'm biased. It's superfast, bombproof, auto deletion of messages,
supports shared mailboxes, the list goes on and on. It's not trivial to
setup but once you get it up it requires zero baby sitting. It also
doesn't hurt that the lead developer is a colleague of mine and who
lives in Buffalo!

My cyrus server has 374 days of uptime, average load is 0.21, 5000+
mailboxes, 550000+ messages, with about 50 continuous connections. The
machine is 3.0ghz/dual-proc, 8gb of mem, RAID5 SAN storage, running
openSUSE 10.2. This machine is a powerhouse but I built it to last for
the next 3-5 years and email is really important around here so it needs
to be.

Cyrus a closed system, meaning it's only meant to be accessed via an
IMAP client or the admin tools. You can't just jump into /var/spool/mail
and check out a single mbox file. It supports LDAP via SASL but I've
found the easiest way to set it up is to configure the underlying host
as an LDAP client and to configure SASL to use PAM. Are you only
providing imap/imaps or pop3 as well?

Someone asked this very question on the Cyrus mail list last month,
apparently he was after "unbiased" answers ;-). Checkout the threads
here.
http://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/pipermail/info-cyrus/2008-August/thread.html

You mention that you plan on using procmail. Cyrus uses Sieve for
message filtering and procmail is simply not supported. The best way to
manager Sieve filters that I've found is the avelsieve plugin for
Squirrelmail.

One recommendation I would make is separating your spam/virii filtering
  and the imap server, amavisd-new is expensive in terms of resources
and is better off on its own machine. I'd have your MX relays on the
internet run amavisd-new and filter/tag all messages BEFORE they get
inside, relay to an internal smtp relay which may filter/tag w/
amavisd-new which then sends mail to the final destination, your imap
server. Your users, internal servers, and wembail send mail to the
internal relay which either relay mail to imap or out to the intended
recipient.

Hope this was helpful.

--
Darin Perusich