[nflug] power control in kubuntu and notebook lockups

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Mon Jul 14 14:48:49 EDT 2008

I need to get to the Power Control System Settings in kubuntu hardy on
my notebook.

I've been there before, but it's buried in the menus somewhere.

Anybody know where?

My problem is that when my notebook is idle (plugged in), it  waits as
desired then starts the screen saver.  Later, it turns the screen off.
So far, so good.

However, if it's left to its own devices  ;) long enough, sometimes it
just sits there when I try to wake it up.  If i momentarily press the
power switch, there is some disk activity, but that's all.  I have to
power down to regain control of my system.

I'm thinking it may be spinning the disk down or something else boneheaded.

Any ideas?

This causes some annoying problems with applications not closing
properly, etc.  so I'd really like to fix it.

TIA

Joe