[nflug] storage and meeting

Eric T eric at flerd.com
Wed Jul 2 08:38:50 EDT 2008

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 17:47:36 -0700 (PDT)
"David J. Andruczyk" <djandruczyk at yahoo.com> wrote:

> we just got our shipment of 3 X44500 thumbers at work.   nice boxes,
> heavier than lead bricks,   only downer is there is no raid

Yeah the X4500 is designed to run Software Raid in order to drive the
price of the boxes down. The real push being Solaris using ZFS, though
of course the box does support RHEL 4U4 or Windows 2k3.

> controllerwhatsoever.  and Solaris 10 can't do trunking on the nics
> built into the unit, so we are using linux with multiple SW raid 5's
> (set em up right and they SCREAM).    Nice to have 48TB in 3 or 4 U
> of space.

The X4500 will do Link Aggregation (trunking) in Solaris 10.
Check here for the info on how it works and how to set it up:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-3000/fpjvl?l=en&a=view

So with Solaris you'd do the same thing you mentioned up above but
instead of multiple SW raid 5's in linux, you'd have multiple raidz
pools, (or raidz2 for dual parity)

-Eric T