[nflug] Hal is messed up

Robert Wolfe robert at wolfe-n-wolfe-enterprises.com
Wed Jan 23 10:32:54 EST 2008

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Robert Stockdale IV wrote:

> I seem to have several problems with my computer since the last upgrade.
> When I boot up or restart X and login I get an error message that HAL could
> not be started. I fired up synaptic and it kills and upgrade attempt with
> the error message:
>
> E: /var/cache/apt/archives/hal_0.5.9.1-6ubuntu5_amd64.deb: subprocess new
> pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
>
> I then decide to remove HAL so I can do a fresh install of it and I get this
> error message
>
> E: hal: Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
>
> However, it ends there and does not tell me what to do.

I had this same problem with my Debian 4.0 workstation at work which,
oddly enough, was resolved after cleaning the apt cache directory and then
rebooting the workstation completely which led me to believe that
something else (a zombie process perhaps) had locked a file or something.
However, not sure if this will help you resolve your situation or not, I
just thought I would mention it.