[nflug] ghostscript command line

Rob Dege livemotion at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 11:53:19 EST 2008

Unless you plan on doing batch printing, I think you're making this harder
then what it is.  The simpler method in my mind would be to find a program
that can read postscript files, and then print them through that
application.

You can try GSview, which is a ghostview port to Windows (
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/index.htm)

If you are trying to do batch printing, then I would recommend printing the
files from linux to your printer (even if it's much slower), and just walk
away for a bit.  There is a risk of corrupting the layout of the page when
converting from PS to another format, such as margin spacing, warped images,
text alignment, etc.

Hope this helps

-Rob

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Joe <josephj at main.nc.us> wrote:

> On my (very) old desktop system, in Linux, my printer only prints in
> highest quality - about 2ppm.  Under windoze, I can get it into draft
> mode and get over 10 ppm out of it.  I've given up on fixing it in
> Linux, but I still need to use the printer.
>
> What I want to do is use ghostscript (on windows) to convert postscript
> files from Linux to HP PCL for my Deskjet HP895Cse printer.
>
> I installed ghostscript under windows 98se.
>
> What command line do I need to get gs to convert a ps file and send it
> to my printer in draft mode?
>
> When I create the print files (on my notebook) using print to file, do I
> need to tell it that the target printer is my HP895Cse?
>
> Is there a better way to do this?
>
> TIA
>
> Joe

-Rob

Ben Franklin Quote: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."