[nflug] ubuntu Breezy

Justin Leitgeb justin at phq.org
Fri Feb 1 22:00:51 EST 2008

anthonyriga wrote:
> Im trying to get my apache and sendmail,squirrelmail
> off Fedora 7 and onto my Ubuntu box. I actually
> learned on Rehat setting it up while back and the
> configs were easy. really never had any issues setting
> it up. I am using ods.org for DNS never had problems
> with it either on my Fed 7 box. When I use to access
> my site on Fed 7 I would type https://riga.ods.org now
> in Ubuntu I have to type http://riga.ods.org:443 When
> I try https://riga.ods.org I  get error that says
> incorrect or unexpected message error code : -12263. I
> have my routing setup correctly to port forwarding. I
> am using apache2 also. Any suggestions?

Generally when you connect to a machine at http://www.example.com, the
connection is made over port 80.  If you try to connect to
https://www.example.com, the connection is made with SSL to port 443.
Since you can connect to http://riga.ods.org:443 but not the equivalent
https URI, my guess would be that it is a problem with the SSL
configuration of Apache.  However, google turns up a problem that looks
similar that was caused by an incorrect virtual host configuration:

Since someone else seems to have resolved a problem that looks like
yours through the steps provided in the above link, I'd try that first.
Otherwise, perhaps the Apache 2.0 SSL FAQ will be of help:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/ssl/ssl_faq.html

Specifically, there is a command that they mention that will give you
some debugging information for a SSL handshake to your server:

openssl s_client -connect localhost:443 -state -debug
GET / HTTP/1.0

Hope that one of these options leads you to something that works-- let
us know how it turns out!

Justin