[nflug] Guest speakers at ITT; possibly via teleconferencing

Tom Reid tgreid at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 15:30:36 EST 2008

All,
Anyone interested in occasionally serving as a guest speaker to
current/future entry-level computing/networking students enrolled at ITT
Technical Institute?   You would help provide direction and motivation on
technical and/or other skills to concentrate on (things you look for in
entry level IT workers and in employees generally, certifications you
value, types of jobs you have a shortage of qualified applicants
for, etc.).  These forums typically take place around 6-8 PM and would
probably have (combining different classes) 40-100 students attending each
forum.  This could also be an opportunity for you to solicit free and paid
interns, get recognition for community support/involvement, etc. Let me
know, and I will be glad to work with your schedule.  Thanks in
advance--please respond to me off-list directly at tgreid at gmail.com  .

FYI for those interested in participating (supporting or learning), we have
a couple of faculty who are starting up a "networking" club to meet every
2nd Sat at 1 PM (starting on Feb. 9) and want to concentrate on some basic
IT certifications and related areas (ITT already has a substantial ongoing
A+ certification program through the Electronics program). At the same
dates/times, our current IT program chair already separately runs an open
computer install/upgrade clinic (hardware, OSs, software, etc.). As you
probably know from when NFLUG met at ITT (Mark, Rich, and others gave some
great presentations here), the campus is pretty much open to the public
while the doors are unlocked.

Alternatively, has anyone done any open source videoconferencing? What are
you using?  I have an adequate MacBook that I could use to try things out
(whatever OS/distro/software, in a virtual machine if not within
MacOS).  Alternatively or in addition, if I were to come up with the
hardware and whatever else, would anyone want to volunteer (for fun and/or
recognition/thanks from the school) to set up a dedicate videoconferencing
system for the school?  (Looking for volunteer(s) because myself am
overloaded!!   ;-)  ).

Thanks,

Tom
tgreid at gmail.com