[nflug] Home broadband (FiOS)

josephj at main.nc.us josephj at main.nc.us
Sat Aug 23 17:28:20 EDT 2008

I currently have Verizon DSL (slowest speed - 860/128k).  I am considering
switching to Verizon FiOS (I already have Verizon phone service at this
location).

It's at least 20 times as fast and appears to be a dollar or two cheaper
for the bundle than what I'm paying now.

I was all set to go until I saw Time Warner Cable's "great" FUD commercial
on TV.

Do any of you use FiOS (especially, non-commercial - at home)?

Any advice on switching to them or cable Internet would be appreciated.

Is there anything to watch out for (like in the commercial)?

Any setup issues for Linux?  I'd guess it will probably be as simple as
unplugging the DSL and plugging in the FiOS and changing a few passwords,
etc.

TIA

Joe