[nflug] Samba

robertwolfe at localnet.com robertwolfe at localnet.com
Thu Aug 7 15:34:24 EDT 2008

On Thursday 07 August 2008 08:51:05 Darin Perusich wrote:
> If you maintain your user accounts in a LDAP/NIS repository adding the
> following to /etc/passwd will disable shell access to the system for
> those accounts but not local accounts.
>
> +::::::/sbin/nologin

Unfortunately, the use of a separate LDAP server is not an option at this
point.  The no-shell access issue was resolved yesterday after a few off-list
emails I received pointed me into the right direction.  Now, my issue is just
the face that I am having problems with group permissions.  I am looking in
the possibility of MySQL-based authentication (as writing a PHP-based web
administrative frontend would be much, much easier for user and password
maintenance <G>), but I am stumped by the group permissions.