[nflug] Nagios and old Dell boxes

David J. Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 11 09:58:55 EST 2007

According to ?Dell's site OM 4.5 is avaiol for a
server that ancient.  but have you even TRIED to
instlal OM-5.2 on the box?

to monitor by nagios,  run snmptrad on a box and have
that log through syslog, and use nagios's syslog
monitor (ugly hack but works).  though I think hte new
current version of nagios accepts traps directly.

--- Robert Meyer <meyer_rm at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm in the process of upgrading the O/S on a bunch
> of older Dell (2450, 6300) PowerEdge servers.  I'm
> trying to upgrade them all to CentOS 5.  This is not
> a big deal except that I'm running into a bit of a
> snag with Dell's OpenManage.  It seems that the
> older servers are not supported in the newer
> versions of OpenManage and the old versions don't
> work with the newer Linux.  This is further
> complicated by the fact that all of the Nagios
> plugins that I find want at least version 4.5 of
> OpenManage.  It seems that the last version that
> supported a 2450 was 3.2.xx.
>
> Has anybody out there found a solution to this
> problem?
>
> Secondly, I've been trying to figure out what to use
> for monitoring all of the machines and a UPS.  I've
> finally decided on Nagios for the task.  I'd like to
> find out from folks out there what they had to go
> through to get Nagios running and monitoring.  Most
> specifically, I have a UPS that seems to only be
> able to give information about critical events
> through traps, not through SNMP polling.  Can I get
> Nagios to interface with snmptrapd and be able to
> properly deal with traps?  Most monitoring systems
> seem to want to poll for their status information.
> We're currently using "What's Up" on a Windoze box.
> We'd like to make that box go away, hence the
> monitoring system update.
>
> We're interested in monitoring EVERYTHING that we
> can monitor.  Especially hardware RAID disk health
> and temperatures.
>
> Lots of work ahead of me...
>

> Cheers!
>
> Bob