[nflug] Network Issues

Justin S. Leitgeb justin at phq.org
Mon May 21 10:43:57 EDT 2007

Len Thornton wrote:
> Verizon DSL is relatively stable.  When they offered it in Newfane, I was first in line.  I get speeds of 2,800 kbs down and 550 kbs up.  Much more reliable than Adelphia PowerLink ever was.  And cheaper too.
>
> Had a thought recently with TW's fiber upgrade and IP changes - this whole area is tied to essentially two critical points of failure for broadband:  Verizon and Time Warner for broadband (unless you have a true business class service, or a laptop cellular card).  Scary...

Just one of the reasons I'm trying to start a CWN (community wireless
network) in Buffalo at http://www.buffalowireless.org/.  Not that we
will have anything competitive with TW/Verizon in the near future (and
we probably never will) but I hope that the elements of advocacy and
education related to issues like 'net access will be a positive
influence in the area.

Media monopolies are problematic for lots of reasons. :(

--
Justin S. Leitgeb

Buffalo Wireless Project
http://www.buffalowireless.org