[nflug] TW Cable

Sam Stern samstern at samstern.net
Tue May 8 11:39:05 EDT 2007

Hi Richard,

I do not think twc are morons. They are, however NOT effective
communicators. Something went horribly wrong when they tried to merge the
Adelphia infrastructure into the rr.com infrastructure. In that transition,
something happened to their routing and cable modem configs. For some reason
(unknown to me) their dhcp server was giving out a 98.x address that routed
my traffic into New jersey and I got a nice 230kbs symmetric connection to
the internet.

After some hold time, the tech had me turn my modem off for 1 minute and on
again. Volia! Problem fixed, new ip address 76.x. Only to resurface last
night (again, 98.x ip slow speed). Turn off modem, turn on again, Acquire
76.x address. Problem fixed for a bit longer.

As a fellow technocrat I expect better communications than this but given I
have little choice -- cable or (much slower) Verizon pppoe I guess cable is
the lesser of the two evils. That said, you need to call them whenever it
slows down. Use the "tools" over at dslreports.com for the free speed tests
so you can effectively escalate to two tier 2 in no time by quoting your
upstream/down stream to them.

Since I work remotely, I ordered a dsl backup and it was fully provisioned
and active in four days.

P.S. No Fios on Grand island yet

Sam S.