[nflug] Thanks go out re: DVI connection

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Wed Jan 31 20:31:31 EST 2007

John G. Boice wrote:
> Kudos to Dave Mangani and Peter [CyberSource].
>
> Your discussions of hooking up the DVI monitor interface in your own
> situations has emboldened me to do the same.
>
> I got a new DFP monitor about 6 weeks ago: Samsung SynchMaster 940BW.
> Not the top of the line, but nice. 19" widescreen, with both VGA & DVI
> inputs.
>
> My old video card was a Leadtek nVidia with a VGA output.  Through
> circumstances too involved to be easily condensed, two weeks ago I wound
> up with a new vid card. An MSI with nVidia FX5200, with both VGA & DVI
> output.
>
> However, nothing ventured, nothing screwed. . . so I just "kept on
> keeping on" my VGA connection that suited my xorg.conf from my old card.
>
> Peter's example  got me to look into the nVidia readme/installation
> guide for my driver version.   The two of you comparing notes got me
> going.  And I started tweaking, setting new options --learning a lot in
> the process.
>
> Anyway, I'm running the monitor off the DVI connection now, and at
> 120x120 dpi, the 1440x900 px native res looks real nice!
>
> Thanks, gentlemen.
>
> John

Congrats, good to hear! I was always a staunch believer that resolutions
higher than 1024x768 on 17" monitors was too small. But now with these
19" wide screens, 1440x900 is fine and with my 20" wide screen,
1680x1050 is fine, a little small but still fine. One thing I have
noticed is that the themes look awesome at such resolutions. I've always
like the grand canyon control theme in Gnome and the way it looks on
1680x1050 is just no comparison to the way it looks on 1024x768, such
beautiful eye candy!