[nflug] Thanks go out re: DVI connection

John G. Boice evrgreen at netsync.net
Wed Jan 31 19:57:02 EST 2007

Kudos to Dave Mangani and Peter [CyberSource].

Your discussions of hooking up the DVI monitor interface in your own
situations has emboldened me to do the same.

I got a new DFP monitor about 6 weeks ago: Samsung SynchMaster 940BW.
Not the top of the line, but nice. 19" widescreen, with both VGA & DVI
inputs.

My old video card was a Leadtek nVidia with a VGA output.  Through
circumstances too involved to be easily condensed, two weeks ago I wound
up with a new vid card. An MSI with nVidia FX5200, with both VGA & DVI
output.

However, nothing ventured, nothing screwed. . . so I just "kept on
keeping on" my VGA connection that suited my xorg.conf from my old card.

Peter's example  got me to look into the nVidia readme/installation
guide for my driver version.   The two of you comparing notes got me
going.  And I started tweaking, setting new options --learning a lot in
the process.

Anyway, I'm running the monitor off the DVI connection now, and at
120x120 dpi, the 1440x900 px native res looks real nice!

Thanks, gentlemen.

John