[nflug] Broadcom Wireless Card

Chris Squier songs at chrissquier.com
Tue Jan 9 11:59:48 EST 2007

Hi Franklin,

I'm running Ubuntu Edgy on my laptop right now, and while the built-in
Broadcom 43XX card was recognized I could never get it to function
properly with WEP or WPA. I spent about two weeks with wrestling with
it, and it turns out that the Broadcom cards as you may already know are
notorious for having issues in Ubuntu and Linux as a whole. I used
TCPWrapper, the whole bit - nothing. For what it's worth, I read that
some people got it working under the 6.06 LTS version. Perhaps something
changed in Edgy...?

Anyway, I had to compromise. I ended up getting a D-Link card which
works perfectly with WEP.

I hope that it doesn't turn your friend off to using Ubuntu or Linux in
general. The benefits in my opinion far outweigh the inconvenience of
switching cards. If you do decide to give the Broadcom card a go and get
it to work please post how you did it. I'd love to know!