[nflug] Fed 5 kudzu

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sun Jan 7 14:28:37 EST 2007

anthonyriga wrote:
> How does Fed reconize hardware changes if you switch
> monitor brands or sizes? It always seems like I have
> to edit xorg.conf to make the changes refresh rate
> etc.. it dosent do it automatically.
> --- Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:
>

>> anthonyriga wrote:
>>
>>> I changed monitors on my computer the other day
>>>
>> from
>>
>>> 17in to 14in and Fed didnt reconize the monitor or
>>> adjusted the diplay refresh settings. So I tried

>>> excute kudzu and it didnt work. I know it loaded
>>>
>> and I
>>
>>> think it should have reconized the changes when I
>>> plugged the monitor in but it didnt. What would
>>>
>> cause
>>
>>> kudzu not to load? Anyway to get it to load?

>> I could be wrong Tony but I think kudzu's been
>> depreciated since FC3
>> (last time I saw it was on FC3).

I dont know of any Linux distro that automatically detects and edits for
changed monitors. For Ubuntu I run, dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. That
does a good job but doesnt always get it really tweaked, it'll be pretty
generic and usually just make it work. For my new 20" widescreen (love
it!), it's didnt pick it up well at all. I took the cd that came with
it, opened the manual (pdf) and seen what the exact refresh rates were
and max resolution and edited my xorg file accordingly, and it looks
beautiful.
The average user is not going to do this of course, but for me, that's
why I'm here, in business that is.
Anyone else out there know of auto configurations for monitors in Linux?