[nflug] HD Scan

Louis Spironello lspironello at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 4 09:25:41 EST 2007

Hello Frank:One solution I use to check any older drives, or for that matter, newerdrives is badblocks.  Boot up knoppix to the command lineand type badblocks -s -v -n <device>e.g. where device would be   /dev/hda for the first ide hard driveThat would perform a NON-DESTRUCTIVE read-only test.If you get any errors then you could safely assume that the drive data and drive is bad.Another option is to look at the SMART data from the drive.  Most newer drives willhave SMART on the drive.You can check to see if the drive has SMART and is enabled by typing:   smartctl -I <device>e.g. smartctl -a /dev/hdaThis dumps all information about a drive.  You will see if both the drive has SMART and if SMART is enabled.Moreover, if the logging feature was enabled on the drive then you will be able to dump the error report.Hope this helps.Regards,Lou> Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 14:09:58 -0500> From: fkumro at gmail.com> To: nflug at nflug.org> Subject: [nflug] HD Scan> > My friend has a laptop running windows (yuck) and is having issues> with the hard drive. Is there a linux bootable cd that I can use to> check the hard drive for issues? Also after we figure out the problem> she is letting me put linux on it for her :)> > -- > Frank> Shenanigans!!> I do the voodoo that I do do with sudo!> http://www.syncoder.com> _______________________________________________> nflug mailing list> nflug at nflug.org> http://www.nflug.org/mailman/listinfo/nflug