[nflug] HD Scan

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Jan 2 16:03:17 EST 2007

Frank Kumro wrote:
> This laptop is about 1 year old and is a dell too...in your email you
> said "so you know the hdd was refurbished". They put refurb hdd is new
> computers? or was it purchased used? Just curious
>
> On 1/2/07, Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:
>> Frank Kumro wrote:
>> > The disc fails defrag and when I use the native disc checker it didnt
>> > fix the problem that the defrag has
>> >
>> > Defrag said errors on disc run the check
>> > Ran  the check and selected to fix all error
>> > ran defrag again...same error
>> >
>> > Horrible performance ... ive used her computer a couple times and
>> > recently its just painful. No matter what any program takes >30sec to
>> > load...just horrible. Want to make sure the disc isnt dieing...

>> check

>> problem

>> Actually just got done with someone's who's laptop sounded much like
>> your situation. Dell laptop that is about 1 1/2 yr old (30gb hdd) so you
>> know the hdd was refurbished, etc.. Anyway, long story short, I did what
>> I suggested, saw tons or seek errors, with knoppix, transferred all his
>> data to our network and replaced the toasted drive. I've seen ALOT of
>> drives get hammered by ntfs. ntfs is just downright cruel to drives,
>> especially large partitions. All that fragmentation just kills them.

I've seen refurbished equipment in supposedly new pc's. They are usually
sold under the umbrella of "factory reconditioned" , etc..
I do know this, as of 1 1/2yr's ago, 30gb was already old, not so much
for laptops but for pc's, definitely.
I carry 3 yr warranty on all systems I build because I carry through the
manufacturer warranties, and they are almost always 3 yrs, unless the
hardware lot had some restrictive sale, etc..
When you buy systems from Dell or whomever like that, the hardware
inside is covered by them, not the manufacturer of the hardware itself.
In other words, because that drive is in a dell and was sold with the
unit, if you did a sn search on the rma status, I'm sure it would
redirect to Dell as to the rma and then if you didn't purchase a
warranty....then your out of luck, just like this guy was.
However, had you purchased that drive directly (in this case Hitachi,
yours too probably), it most likely would have been covered by a 3 yr
warranty.
With laptops you don't have much choice but with desktops/servers, you
certainly do.