[nflug] update to POS BIOS

Robert Wolfe robertwolfe at localnet.com
Mon Dec 17 08:36:52 EST 2007

Cyber Source wrote:
> What I thought was a problem with the BIOS and ACPI on the Acer Laptop
> in question turned out to be a problem with ALSA. And after a few
> searches on google found the suggestion to update ALSA to 4.07b and
> voila! Now with not special boot commands, all works beautifully on
> this laptop, even the onboard web cam. For anyone interested here is
> the link on newegg for the laptop. Acer Aspire, dual core amd64, 17"
> screen, NVIDIA graphics, scroll button on touchpad, firewire, svideo,
> pcmcia (newer mini), dvd-rw, wireless (works natively and with
> ndiswrapper(seems to do the wep better), onboard web cam for $699.00
> and it all rocks with Ubuntu Gutsy (yes gotta upgrade the alsa but
> that was a snap) with free shipping? I think it's an awesome deal
> although bionic eyes wouldn't like it cause it wont do 1920xwhatever....
>
> http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16834115413

Sounds like a good deal.  I just bought a new Dell Vostro 1500 myself.
Not that bad of a laptop, would be better with Linux on it, though, but
I don't think that some of the niceties that this particular lapbox
provides (such as the on-board cellular) will work just yet with Linux.
Bummer, really.

On a lighter side of things, noticed that Key Liquors in the Value Plaza
has Red Hat-powered POS terminals -- there is a "Powered by Red Hat"
sticker on both of them :)  Thought it was a bit interesting to see POS
terminals powered by Red Hat or any distro of Linux for that matter.

Enough of my rambling.  Have a great, sunny morning everyone!

--
Robert Wolfe
Systems Administrator