[nflug] *&!#$*

John Nichel john at kegworks.com
Tue Dec 11 15:45:42 EST 2007

C. Hatton Humphrey wrote:
>>   I'm really suppressing the expletives right now and my opinion lately
>> has really plummeted for Toshiba laptops.
>
> Don't burst my bubble... I just got a brand new Tecra laptop... there
> is a physical switch on the front of mine for wireless.
>
> Granted I haven't had a chance to do an OS reinsall... too darn busy!

I just got a Satellite P205D, and it has the same switch (Atheros
802.11a/g/n wireless-LAN).  I went with the Toshiba, because the last
two I had were Linux friendly.  I've tried RHEL5 and Kubuntu 7.10 with
unsatisfactory results.  I couldn't get the madwifi drivers to work for
either distro, but was able to get the wireless working with
ndiswrapper.  I thought I was good to go until I realized that ndis
killed USB on the laptop.  Read a few more docs, and recompiled the
wrapper to disable usb (ndis' usb drivers, from what I understood), but
there was still no joy.  Work wasn't going to wait around for me to
tinker with this thing to try to get it working, so I had to put Vista
back on it.  It's not bad (I'm not an anti-Windows zealot), but I've
been using Linux as my primary desktop for almost 9 years now, so Vista
feels a bit strange.

--
John C. Nichel IV
System Administrator (ÜberGeek)