[nflug] running linux in vm, off cd-rom, from within MS Windows, etc.

Robert Wolfe rwolfe at shatterit.com
Fri Apr 6 01:54:41 EDT 2007

Daniel V wrote:
> Virtual machines are fine but what about someone who
> is leery of having their computer altered in any way?
>
> It couldn't get any easier than booting up with Linux
> and it doesn't change anything at all on your hard
> drive unless you want it to.
>
> Virtualization is part of Red Hat Enterprise 5, and
> CentOS 5 should be out shortly.
>
> There are also ways of running Linux from within MS
> Windows.

Good morning, everyone!  Saw Dan's post so just had to respond. :)

Personally, I have used VirtualBox, and, while in some cases it may be a
decent product, I have had very limited success with it.  That is why I
decided to stick with VMware 5.5 and 6.0 beta.  I run 6.0 beta under
Windows Vista Business on my laptop and switch between the x86 and x64
versions of CentOS 4 quite often ... often to do cross-architechture
development.  This works out quite well for me.

Admittedly (and I know Dan is going to give me flack for this one <G>) I
also run the x86 version of Solaris on the same VMWare setup -- again,
for cross-platform development.

On the other hand, here at work, I use VMWare under Xubuntu/Edubuntu
(depending on what GUI I happen to be using at the time) to run Windows
XP Professional because of some things I have to do under that OS.

But, in the long run, I am quite pleased with the VMware product and
would actually recommend it to anyone who wants to dabble in Linux
without compromising their Windows boxen.

Just my $.02 worth.

PS:  When all is said and done, however, I still prefer my
Debian-powered Sun Ultra 5 box if I want to be the purveyor of anything
Linux :P~

--
Robert Wolfe (MCP/Linux+) <rwolfe at shatterit.com>
Shatter I.T. Global Services, Buffalo, NY