[nflug] running linux in vm, off cd-rom, from within MS Windows, etc.

Daniel V cloudlakedreamer at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 6 01:37:32 EDT 2007

Virtual machines are fine but what about someone who
is leery of having their computer altered in any way?

It couldn't get any easier than booting up with Linux
and it doesn't change anything at all on your hard
drive unless you want it to.

Virtualization is part of Red Hat Enterprise 5, and
CentOS 5 should be out shortly.

There are also ways of running Linux from within MS
Windows.

http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/qemu-0.8.1-windows-README.txt
... qemu, the free virtual PC emulator, in the version
for Windows. You can boot Knoppix inside Windows using
qemu, if your computer cannot boot directly from
CD/DVD (or if you don't wish to). The file "start.bat"
inside the qemu directory should automatically find
and boot the Knoppix CD/DVD in a separate window.

Daniel