[nflug] Dump XP image to VMWARE

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Wed Sep 27 08:09:37 EDT 2006

David J. Andruczyk wrote:
> I did it via the following:
>
> Setup up a VM with a PHYSICAL disk (the one you want to image from )
> and a virtual disk big enough to hold the data.
>
> Boot the VM and use a ghost boot disk,
>
> ghost from one to the other, shutdown VM, edit config to remove
> physical disk, reboot VM on virtual disk and let XP freak about the
> changed hardware and go through re-activation hell.  Hence why I'll
> never install XP on any system,  2K runs 5x faster, uses 1/3rd the RAM
> and all apps run just as nice on it.  IF you can get it thru
> reactivation then you should be just fine.
>

> --- anthonyriga <torrodimerda at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> Does anyone have any tricks to dumping and XP ghost
>> image to wmvare workstation or player? Or dumping the
>> OS to a vmware image?

> -- David J. Andruczyk

Now that I think about it, how long ago was this and what version of
vmware were you using? The xp activation thing was a bug in the older
4.5 workstations and I believe only with xp home. In fact, even the new
workstations have a pop-up blurb that will pop up when initially
starting a new xp workstation in vmware talking about this bug but I
haven't had a problem since the 4.5 days and with xp home, never since.
Your idea last night of removing all the hardware prior to mirroring it
has me intrigued to try it again.