[nflug] UNIX-HATERS Handbook

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Fri Sep 1 23:41:12 EDT 2006

I personally experienced something equivalent to this that is completely true. Back when I worked at UB, we were taking over a number of offices in Baldy hall that was previously used a storage for us.

To preface this, there had been a sun server... one of the fairly large multi cpu machines, about 2 feet tall, about 1 foot wide and deep..that we never could find. it was actually used by a number of people, but we had no idea where it was. we had kinda assumed it was simply in somebody's office and/or labeled incorrectly. We had complete network access to it, but never remotel rebooted it for fear of it not coming back up and not being able to find it.

During the cleaning of the offices, there was one that was stacked _full_ of desks, chairs, books, and general junk..
we got halfway through cleaning the office and noticed a network cable on the floor..we followed the cable into the center of the mess, and low and behold found the server under the entire stack! it had been up for over 5 years!!

-Mark