[nflug] Bluetooth Dial-Up Networking with a Verizon LG vx8100

Mark T. Valites mark-nflug at valites.net
Thu Oct 12 17:47:00 EDT 2006

A while back, I picked up a vx8100 (through Verizon, v7 firmware), but
have yet to get it to work for dialup after enabling the bluetooth DUN
profile. I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to get it
working using a Airnet ABT201 BT adapter and the following OSs:

- Windows XP Home (MS bluetooth drivers)
- Windows XP Home (BlueSoliel drivers)
- Debian Linux (2.6.16.2 custom compiled kernel, standard bluetooth/rfcomm modules)

I can pair with the phone and even dial without any problems, but after my
dial-up host displays a banner and then presents me with a username
prompt, I can't enter any text and the connection eventually times out.
This happens with the standard ppp/pon commands in linux, a manual session
driven through minicom, and the same with in Windows with both the MS
provided BT drivers and the BlueSoliel ones.

Trying to eliminate the different variables, I tried:

  - a different dial-up service I have an account with
  - the #777 Verizon service (after hacking the username login)

  - a different blue tooth adapter (D-Link DBT-120)

  - a vx8100 of a co-worker of mines

None of these worked. Recently, I tried the same setup with another
co-worker's Verizon Razr over bluetooth & it worked.

I've iterated through some different flow control, port speed and parity
combinations, but really haven't invested a lot of time in this area and
am by no means a modem expert. I found a CDMA AT command set over at
Multi-Tech, but again am no modem expert and wasn't able to get it going
with that either.

Eventually I ended up eBaying a holster for the phone, and got a USB data
cable along with it. Much to my surprise, dial-up works correctly through
the cable. (Not sure if this is a good or bad sign...)

I've seen multiple posts on howardforums.com of folks successfully using
their own ISP or the Verizon #777 service for dialup through BT DUN.
Normally just the USB cable would be sufficient, but the main reason I
picked up a vx8100 was to use my PDA BT connection with it so I could get
away, fish the backwaters around me, but still respond to pages for work.
I'm running out of ideas fast - if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be most
gratefull. If anyone in the area has a vx8100 working with BT DUN, I'd
love to chat.