[nflug] Stand-alone scanner?

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Mon May 1 17:35:22 EDT 2006

Inline:

Sam Stern wrote:

> [...]
Visioneer 3100USB.  Only one Visioneer model (not this one) is listed at
the sane website as being supported.
> Sorry, I wish I knew more about desktop Linux; right now my main desktop
> apps have no effective analog in the Linux world (MS Access, PDF Form
> creation, Real Arcade, etc).

Shameless plug for OOo (in more detail for general reference):

OpenOffice.org 2.0.x includes the new base component.  From what I
follow on the OOo users list, base is probably not quite as powerful as
Access (for application development), but it is coming along quickly and
can interface to several popular SQL engines including postgres, mysql,
sqlite, Oracle, or anything else that has an ODBC/JDBC driver
(including  Access), in addition to hsql which is built in.

There's a wealth of information here:

http://support.openoffice.org/index.html
and more specifically here:
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/index.html
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/0110GS-GettingStartedWithBase.pdf

Base forums in www.oooforum.org

Tutorials:
http://www.digitaldistribution.com/community/gettingtoknowbasepart1/

http://www.digitaldistribution.com/community/gettingtoknowbasepart2/

http://www.digitaldistribution.com/community/gettingtoknowbasepart3/

http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/ms-access/ms-access.html

For more advanced/specific information:

http://www.pitonyak.org/database/AndrewBase.odt

http://dba.OpenOffice.org

and mailing lists:
users at dba.OpenOffice.org
dev at dba.OpenOffice.org

OOo has also had the ability to create pdf's from documents for quite some time.  It does not have the ability to edit pdf's or to set most of the parameters available in Acrobat.  I don't think it can do interactive pdf forms either.  Just worth noting for those who don't need these additional capabilities.

> Good luck. If you need some win98 help; email me off list I know allot about
> Win98 (and integrating it with linux).

Thanks.  I may take you up on that in the future.

Joe