[nflug] Verizon DSL

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Mon Jun 19 09:57:12 EDT 2006

Dennis Ruzeski wrote:
> It may all be tcp/ip, but I remember a time not too  long ago when
> linux had the crappiest possible pppoe implementation. The code was
> complete bloated crap. That may have gotten better, but one system's
> implementation of a protocol could definitely make it 'better' than
> another.
> Of course, once you put the router in place it's all ethernet behind
> it making that point moot-
>
> --Dennis
>

> On 6/17/06, *Cyber Source* < peter at thecybersource.com
> <mailto:peter at thecybersource.com>> wrote:
>
>     robert at net261.com <mailto:robert at net261.com> wrote:
>     > On 6/16/2006 10:29 PM, nflug at nflug.org <mailto:nflug at nflug.org>
>     wrote to ROBERT WOLFE:
>     >
>     > -> Hi all
>     > ->     I was looking for some input into using Verizon DSL with
>     linux and
>     > -> also using it with a wired router. I have a windows box and a
>     linux
>     > -> box I'd like to share this DSL line with. I am currently on
>     adelphia
>     > -> using a wired router. I'd like to keep my hardware( router)
>     and simply
>     > -> exchange the cable for the DSL. Is DSL linux friendly? Will
>     it work
>     > -> with an off the shelf netgear router? Any input is welcome.
>     >
>     > Dave, stay with Adelphia.  I tried Verizon before coming to work
>     for Adelphia
>     > and then switched to cable shortly thereafter.  Much happier.  I
>     mean you
>     > can feel free to do what you want to, but I have to admit,
>     Adelphia is much
>     > more Linux friendly in my opinion.
>     >
>     > - Robert Wolfe
>     > - Sysop, Net261.com <http://Net261.com> BBS & Net261 Internet
>     > - Sloan, NY
>     > - http://www.net261.com:82
>     > - Read & Write To the NFLUG Mailing List via Web Browser!
>     >   Visit http://www.net261.com:82 today and sign up!
>     >
>     >
>     > nflug mailing list
>     > nflug at nflug.org <mailto:nflug at nflug.org>
>     >
>     >
>     Talk like this is what starts false misconceptions. Whether it is
>     DSL or
>     Cable makes no difference when it comes to Linux, Windows, MAC, UNIX,
>     whatever, it's all TCP/IP UDP and DNS. In particular your DSL will be
>     perfectly fine with Linux as opposed to Cable. Now, what will make a
>     difference and it will make all the difference in the world is,
>     DNS. DSL
>     has notoriously bad DNS servers and they will make the DSL connection
>     seem slow and unresponsive. If it can't resolve the name in a timely
>     manner, you will not go anywhere and it will make your connection seem
> [...]
Sure, I'll bet windows 3.1 couldn't/wouldn't handle it too well either.
I was talking in current terms and have used pppoe as far back as RH8,
never noticed a problem. All sorts of mechanics can get in the way of
success, dhcp, dns, pppoe. My original intent was to point out that the
original question regarding OS's needed to be answered with, what is
really happening behind the OS.