[nflug] fstab usb drive question

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Sat Jan 28 15:04:50 EST 2006

pirrone wrote:
> Stephen Burke wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am running BLAG 30000 (fc3) on dell optiplex PII with a small hard
>> drive (20 GB, dual-booted with 2k - 10/10) that has two usb2 hard
>> dives attached to it. One is the totally enclosed variety (made by
>> fantom drives) - 160GB - single vfat partition. The other is the
>> aluminum enclosure variety (some assembly required) with a 250GB
>> seagate drive split into four ext3 partitions. I would like to be able
>> to add these drives into fstab (correctly this time) so that all five
>> of these partitions would mount at boot time and I would be able to
>> write to them and share them out and all that good stuff, but
>> documentation about how to master fstab seems limited indeed. Unless
>> I'm just looking in the wrong place.
>>
>> Can anyone enlighten me on either what fstab might look like here or
>> where to find an fstab explanation not written in martian?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> S.
>>

> Stephen,
>
> They will show up in your system as SCSI drives, /dev/sda and /dev/sdb,
> with the former probably /dev/sda1 and the latter probably something
> like /dev/sdb1-4 so /etc/fstab would contain entries like:
>
> /dev/sda1    /media/usbdisk1    ext3    defaults    1 2
> /dev/sdb1    /media/usbdisk2    ext3    defaults    1 2
> /dev/sdb2    /media/usbdisk3    ext3    defaults    1 2
> /dev/sdb3    /media/usbdisk4    ext3    defaults    1 2
> /dev/sdb4    /media/usbdisk5    ext3    defaults    1 2
>
> In any event it will be easy enough to test using mount -t ext3
> /dev/sdwhatever /media/usbdiskwhatever and then drop what you discover
> into fstab.
>
> Frank

Thanks, I will try that.

All the partitions mount without problems, but I'm trying to figure out
how not to have to do it manually every time. The device names and mount
points and fs columns in fstab I don't have a problem with. It's that
4th column (flags?) that confuses the hell out of me. For example, I
have no idea what the "defaults" are. Elsewhere, I've seen it suggested
that it should read "noauto,users,rw,umask=0", so that's what's in there
now (and not working). I remember reading something about those entries
a long time ago that didn't make much sense to me, so I'm trying to find
documentation that will.

Or maybe it's the 5th column that's screwed up, since I have 0 0 where
you have 1 2? I can't seem to recall fully what those numbers mean
either. Something about whether or not the fs gets checked at boot time,
if memory serves. But, once again, docs seem to be lacking here. Perhaps
I need to learn this well enough to write a new fstab doc, but I need
others to help me learn it. ;-)

Thanks again,
S.

p.s. does the "s" in "sdx" mean scsi drive? All this time I thought it
meant serial drive.