[nflug] Ubuntu question

Josh Johnson joshj at linuxmail.org
Wed Jan 11 09:54:49 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "vlok stone" <vlokstone at yahoo.com>
To: nflug at nflug.org
Subject: Re: [nflug] Ubuntu question
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 05:22:32 -0800 (PST)

> Josh, It doesn't come as just mplayer.
> $apt-cache search mplayer
> mplayer-386 - The Ultimate Movie Player For Linux
> mplayer-586 - The Ultimate Movie Player For Linux
> mplayer-686 - transitional dummy package which can be
> safely removed
> mplayer-custom - The Ultimate Movie Player For Linux
> mplayer-doc - Documentation for mplayer
> mplayer-fonts - Fonts for mplayer
> mplayer-k6 - The Ultimate Movie Player For Linux
> mplayer-k7 - transitional dummy package which can be
> safely removed
> mplayer-nogui - The Ultimate Movie Player For Linux
> xmms-xmmplayer - XMMS plugin that uses MPlayer to play
> video files
> w32codecs - win32 dlls codecs for MPlayer (installer)
>
> like a previous post said it's good to enable
> multiverse repositories for the non-free stuff. Don't
> forget the w32codecs and libdvd stuff.

Yeah. That was my problem though. i couldn't even get a list. I finally went in to /etc/apt/contact.list and uncommented every line. After that a search for 'mplayer' would would bring up 'mozilla-mplayer' but that (of course) depended on some mplayer package (586,686,-custom,etc) which it couldn't find. A did a google search and came up with a site that gave me a couple of urls to add to contact.list that containted mplayer and its dependencies and it works now. And mplayer works beautifully!

I'm a little disapointed that this couldn't be done through the gui. Or more correctly, that I couldn't figure out how to do it through the GUI. Because I'm sure it can be done. See, I set this up on my buddy's laptop. I wanted to find a distro that he could upgrade and install packages by himself in the future. Editing the config files by hand isn't a problem for myself. But it would be a bit confusing for a first time user. So i'm guessing that there is some other way around this? I figured that with ubuntu I could search for a package to install and it would merrily hunt down and install dependencies. I'm not dissin ubuntu. I think I missed something along the way. Are some packages (like mplayer) not part of the 'stable' (or whatever ubuntu calls it) branch because it is a new distro and it hasn't been extensively tested?