[nflug] Ubuntu question

Josh Johnson joshj at linuxmail.org
Tue Jan 10 20:35:40 EST 2006

I just installed Ubuntu to check out what all the fuss is about. It's pretty nice, but how doesn the package management system worked? I thought that it had a system that figured dependencies. Like if I said "Install Mplayer" then it would install all of the the library dependencies for it and then install mplayer and add it to the menu. As of yet I haven't figured this out. I see it has apt-get. But "apt-get install mplayer" yields

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package mplayer

I can find the package on their website, but I'm not certain where to put it. And would I have to do that for every dependency? Googling hasn't been much help. And I figured that the graphic interface (Synaptic) could do it. But I seem to be graphically challenged with this. What is the secret?

-Josh