[nflug] xmms re-read directory

joshj at linuxmail.org joshj at linuxmail.org
Tue Feb 28 10:13:03 EST 2006

Thus spake JJ Neff on Tue, 28 Feb 2006

> I know this may not be the answer you want...
>
> I use xmms on winders and linux.  I never thought of xmms actually
> automatically scanning a "start-up folder" (sounds invasive and obtrusive and
> very MS).  What I do is the aforementioned add-folder.  Of course you will end
> up with duplicates.  But a simple sort and then Rem-Misc has an option to
> remove duplicates.

It doesn't exactly "scan". I had MOC set to recognize a certain
directory (~/music) as my music folder. It wouldn't go out "looking" for
media that I might want to add to my playlist. It would just loadup whatever
was in there and that would be the playlist. Instead of creating the
playlist manually. Which got to be a hasle as my collection grew. I made
a script which automatically queries freedb.org and then creates the ogg
name based on the artist-title-song from the cd. Kind of trite really, but I
couldn't find anything that automated the process like that. As you
could imagine, the oggs became unwieldy pretty quick. I had playlists here and
there with different themes. But for the most part I just wanted it to
randomly play something from my collection. MOC did this perfectly. The
only reason I'm trying out xmms is because I love the wmxmms. but it has
a few drawbacks: It only comes up in the original desktop in which it
was launched unless I tell fluxbox to have that window show up in every
desktop. Which is a pain if I want it to stay in one. I think I'm just
going to switch back to MOC and make a dockapp to control it. That would
be a fun project.

I know that MOC and XMMS work. Everything in GNU/Linux works. But what I
love about Free Software is getting it to do what I want :) Unlike
certain other OS...