[nflug] Processor Question

nolf precognitive at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 05:12:36 EST 2006

I have a amd turion 64 which basically uses the k8 arch. In terms of the
number
of machine instructions, I am not too sure as to how many and to what extent

they differ.

But, except for efficient power consumption with turion, amd doesn't provide
any
other benefits on top of athlon 64 and they don't differ at all in terms of
machine
instructions.

I am not too sure about sempron, but my instict doesn't beg me to differ
much
from the norm and would think that k8 should suffice.

Also, performance is very relative and would be worth it if you beg to
differ
from the usual.

---
hope is the quintessential human illusion... simultaneously the source of
your
greatest strength and your greatest weakness

On 2/19/06, Frank Kumro <fkumro at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a AMD Sempron 64 and I am going to be recompiling the kernel

my slackware machine. Since the chip is a crippled Newcastle core
> which would be best for me to select as the processor family? (kernel
> 2.6.15.4)
>
> My first instinct was to go with the Athlon/Duron/K7 but I didnt want
> to make a mistake and hurt performance (if that would even happen...)

( ) Athlon/Duron/K7