[nflug] Printing problem

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sun Feb 19 12:56:18 EST 2006

Joe wrote:
> Thanks.  That seems to have fixed it, but ...
>
> I had some trouble getting the new settings to stick.  A few times
> they seemed to revert to 0.04 instead of 0.5.  It was weird.  I also
> went into xpp to fix things up and there, 0.5" = 36 points.  In some
> places, that was right and in some wrong.  All fixed now.
>
> What I really don't understand is since I had this working long ago,
> how did it go bad?  A new install of Firefox shouldn't have affected
> my margin offsets, should it?
>
> Joe
>
> Cyber Source wrote:
>> Joe wrote:
>>> When I print anything from Firefox 1.5, it works fine, except the
>>> headers and footers are cut off because my Deskjet printer has an
>>> unprintable area 1/4" at top and bottom of each page.
>>>
>>> I have tried setting the page margins in File->Page Setup, but that
>>> only affects the page body, not the header and footer.
>>>
>>> I have poked around the various prefs.js files with no luck.
>>>
>>> I even posted on Firefox - General at Mozillazine, but got no answers.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on how to fix this?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Joe
>>>
>> Actually what I had to do was this,
>> 1. In the print dialog check the printer properties and increase the
>> number for the gap from edge of paper to margin from .4 to .5 for all.
>> 2. In the page setup, I had to increase my top margin to .7 and my
>> bottom margin to .5.
>>
>> Now I can have the page numbers or other info print at the top and
>> bottom of my printed pages from Firefox.

The new install could very well have changed things as the new Firefox
and Thunderbird talk directly to CUPS, the previous versions did not. I
use to use gtklp but I cannot any longer with the new 1.5's for Firefox
and Thunderbird. I even had email discussions with the developer of
gtklp about this and even he knows of no way to circumvent direct
talking to CUPS.