[nflug] Making A CD Into A Zip File While Preserving Permissions (A Bit OT)...

joshj at linuxmail.org joshj at linuxmail.org
Thu Feb 9 14:35:10 EST 2006

Thus spake DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI on Thu, 9 Feb 2006

> All,
>
> I have a dilemma. I have a CD for an application for a Solaris server.
> The Solaris server is not in this state. In an effort to do this from my
> desk, I tried creating a zip file of all the contents of the CD on my
> Windows XP workstation, and SCP'd the zip files over to the server. I
> unzipped the file and began to install the application - all this
> involves is running one shell script which will in turn run other
> scripts. The CD contains scripts/files of various permission levels.
> When I tried running the script, I kept getting errors about various
> other scripts not being able to execute.
>
> Is there any way that I can zip/tar/copy all the contents of a CD on a
> Windows XP workstation, SCP it to a Solaris server, unzip/untar it, and
> preserve the file permissions?

Hey Dan. We meet again.

I'm not sure with zip. But with tar use the -p option to preserve the
file permissions. So if you had 'solaris-prog.tar.gz' do a 'tar zxvpf
solaris-prog.tar.gz'. It could be a problem to create it on Windows
since it doesn't have a filesystem that understands *nix-style
permissions. I'm not sure on that though. But any other *nix should be
fine.

-Josh