[nflug] Making A CD Into A Zip File While Preserving Permissions (A Bit OT)...

DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com
Thu Feb 9 14:21:12 EST 2006

All,

I have a dilemma. I have a CD for an application for a Solaris server.
The Solaris server is not in this state. In an effort to do this from my
desk, I tried creating a zip file of all the contents of the CD on my
Windows XP workstation, and SCP'd the zip files over to the server. I
unzipped the file and began to install the application - all this
involves is running one shell script which will in turn run other
scripts. The CD contains scripts/files of various permission levels.
When I tried running the script, I kept getting errors about various
other scripts not being able to execute.

Is there any way that I can zip/tar/copy all the contents of a CD on a
Windows XP workstation, SCP it to a Solaris server, unzip/untar it, and
preserve the file permissions?

Thoughts?

-Dan