[nflug] Alias Question

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Fri Feb 3 18:40:38 EST 2006

Darin Perusich wrote:
> from the bat book pg 275.
>
> "a virtusertable is a database that maps virtual (possibly
> nonexistent) domains to new addresses. essentially it gives you a
> database hook into the early part of rule set 0. Note that this only
> reroutes delivery. It does not change mail headers."
>
> also see: http://www.sendmail.org/virtual-hosting.html
>
> Darin Perusich wrote:
>>
>> Robert Meyer wrote:
>>

>>> Note that if you use this, EVERY user that gets email has to be in
>>> this file or
>>> the mail to the address will be rejected.
>>>

>> i don't belive this is true, it's just like aliases but for virtual
>> domains. sendmail checks for the existance of a mapping in the
>> virtusertable and processes. if there is a valid account on the
>> system it will still deliver.
>>
>> i haven't used sendmail in awhile so let me consult the bat book.

/etc/aliases is pretty powerful. I also use the virtusertable for
different domains that I host, mostly because of same name people.
joe at joeblow.com is the same as joe at whatever.net, if I am hosting both
the domains. This way I will make the user name on one of them joe1 and
put an entry like this in virtusertable
joe at joeblow.com joe1 at joeblow.com
With this, when joe at joeblow.com gets an email it goes to him and not
joe at whatever.net.
  I started out like this but it would have been much easier to just
create user names with the entire domain as the actual user on the box,
like instead of creating just joe, create joe at joeblow.com as the actual
user name, it would have simplified things alot but it's not really a
bother so I don't change the way things are.
  Knowing this, it shows how important the role user names actually play
in email, at least with sendmail. Here is an excerpt of my /etc/aliases
file,

root:           peter at cybersource.us
sales1:         genef, steve.neipris
larrys:         lsoklove at aol.com
steve.h:        stevehimm at aol.com
david:          hfs97
sandi:          hfs97
polychem:       genef, steve.neipris

See all the possibilities?? Even forward to other email systems like aol.