[nflug] Server Specs - Need Some Comments

kobear at sharedbrain.net kobear at sharedbrain.net
Thu Feb 2 12:59:54 EST 2006

If your major concern is the load on the database with 500,000 + records, then
server size is less important than good database design.  Using mySQL 5.0.2 or
higher, you can get significant performance gains by placing all of your
queries into stored procedures.  Also, having properly keyed and indexed
database tables is another HUGE performance enabler.

Other than mySQL design, a dual Athlon with 1GB RAM and RAID drives would be
sufficient.  SCSI is not required, but probably an easier find for RAID5, which
is what I would do for a production server.

Kyle