[nflug] Server Specs - Need Some Comments

Nate Byrnes nate at qabal.org
Thu Feb 2 12:56:53 EST 2006

Hi Frank,
    With databases it is as important to know the type of usage. Is the
database more of a transaction processing box, or a data warehouse. If
it is transaction processing, memory and CPU will be more important on a
well tuned DB, as you will want to get your queries in and out as fast
as possible. if a warehouse, your disk IO will tend to be your largest
bottleneck as you will need to get through large amounts  of data as
fast as possible.  Most of this comes down to what does the database
look like. At 500K records you are starting to get into the area where
DB design will possibly have more impact on performance than number of
CPU's.
    So my question is what does this DB look like, how many tables, what
is the rough size, etc?

    Regards,
    Nate