[nflug] Server Specs - Need Some Comments

Frank Kumro fkumro at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 12:10:24 EST 2006

I am working on a new contract and one priority is to set up a LAMP
server. I have set up many before however this one will have 500,000
records that are searchable in the MySQL database. Since I have never
worked with this much data I was wondering if the LUG can give me some
specs for the server. PHP4 will be used for searching unless the
performance is horrible, but I will deal with that when I begin
testing. What I was thinking for hardware is
1) SCSI drives
2) 2GB of ram (maybe more maybe less??)
3) 2 processors (Xeon, is 1 good enough?)

As you can see I only have a vague idea. Thanks in advance guys!
--
Frank
Shenanigans!!