[nflug] NO-IP and VNC over adelphia

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 1 21:40:36 EST 2006

I am trying to use VNCserver so that another person can connect for a short
time to my machine. (limit the suggestions of What other methods they should be
using - this is what the person has)

I setup port forwarding for ports 5900-5910 and 5800-5810 and I have tested
that my windows laptop can connect to my Linux desktopwhen it is on the same
subnet.  When I put the laptop on dial-up and attempt to go to my outside IP #
(DHCP from adelphia) confirmed on router and from
http://www.realvnc.com/cgi-bin/nettest.cgi
I get timed out as if no connection is even being attempted
Adelphia support (live chat) stated that the ports are NOT blocked but there is
nothing they can do to assist me as the support must come software producer :-Q

Any ideas - by the by I went ahead and got a no-ip acct to try to make my life
easier seems to working (debian has a .deb in apt-get !)

JJN