[nflug] nvidia ubuntu edgy

Boice evrgreen at netsync.net
Fri Dec 22 23:56:59 EST 2006

anthonyriga wrote:
> I am running Nvida drivers on Edgy but not the latest.
> I noticed today on Nvidias site there are new drivers
> How to I upgrade to the new driver? I noticed on
> Automatix under miscellanous there are nvidia drivers
> how do I tel that those are the latest or can I just
> check that to load the latest driver without breaking
> my system?

Hi, Anthony.

I'm in a bit torrent for Sabayon Linux 3.2 DVD right now, so I don't
want to shut down Mepis to go look at my Edgy install.

What I will say about xorg's nvidia driver problem-to-avoid:
Make *certain* you have installed the latest Linux Kernel for Ubuntu
--and that you change GRUB to boot it-- before you update the nvidia
driver.  This should be available through synaptic.

Not only should that vmlinuz----- file be in your
/boot directory,
but
/boot/grub/menu.lst
has to have it entered as the kernel to boot.

And of course, you should reboot the machine so you're actually running
the new kernel, if you did need to upgrade it.

At that point, I'd go here & do what they suggest:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Edgy#How_to_install_Graphics_Driver_.28NVIDIA.29

Merry Christmas,
John