[nflug] apt ineptitude

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Fri Dec 8 00:04:57 EST 2006

Ok, now the problem has been solved. Whether it was the hard way or the
easy way, I'm still not sure, since I was hoping to maybe learn a thing
or two about fonts. But, after messing around for a while and not fixing
anything, I thought maybe just another apt-get upgrade would so the
trick, and was further encouraged when I saw the font stuff in here:

   cdrdao dash debootstrap gconf2 gconf2-common gsfonts-x11 iptables
   liba52-0.7.4 libgconf2-4 libglib2.0-0 libindex0 libmimelib1c2a
   libpango1.0-common msttcorefonts tar xfonts-100dpi-transcoded
   xfonts-scalable xfonts-terminus xfs xnest xprint xvfb

All seemed to go well, but to test things further I decided to reboot
and have somehow now completely lost X. It will still boot in recovery
mode, but since the fonts were still pooched before, a whole X wrestling
match seems futile. I suspect that has something to do with failing X,
actually.

I was truly enjoying the *working* e17, but now I guess it's time to
taste a new nix flavor over there. Naturally, I had just finished
configuring it just to my liking before this fiasco started.

Thanks for the tips and commands along the way,
S.