[nflug] NFS noac option

Justin Bennett Justin.Bennett at Dynabrade.com
Thu Apr 20 09:52:59 EDT 2006

For all you NFS junkies out there,

   I've got a Redhat V 3ES NFS server and several Redhat 2.1ES clients.
I've got NIS and Automounter mounting NFS shares on one of the 2.1 boxes
which then acts as a samba server to the PC's. I've got the auto.x files
mounting the shares with a 'noac' option. I've noticed this slows my
write times down to a crawl. a 38MB files takes 2 minutes to write with
the 'noac' option, and 6 seconds without it. Do I really need to use the
'noac' option? I really only have one active client (the samba server)
the other clients do a backup of the NFS box once a night, and our
database does an export there nightly. Would I cause myself greif by
getting rid of the 'noac' option? what it I just set 'actimeo=3' or
something like that?

Thanks
Justin

--