Source Based Distro's.

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 23 12:16:32 EDT 2005

--- Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:

> What are some of the issues you face if you don't keep your Gentoo up to
> date on a monthly basis?

Occasionally the Gentoo team will reorganize packages (i.e. the name of it
changes) and that can sometimes cause what I'd call and "orphaned" package that
can be tricky to update/remove.  Usually they set things up so that if you
update fairly regularly this gets taken care of but if you don't stay up to
date for three months sometimes you can run into a little snag like this.
Gentoo provides tools to resolve issues like broken libraries caused by a
package update (or removal) this tool is called "revdep-rebuild" which
basically checks all system binaries to make sure that apps haven't been broken
due to a library update.   The gentoo forums have been excellent at helping me
find issues to any problems I've had..

> Dave Andruczyk wrote:
>
> >--- mihakriket Steffens <mihakriket at msn.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Hi All. I have tried many disto's and I keeping hearing alot about the
> >>source based distro's. As far as getting better performance or installing
> >>only what you want. I have never tried but have seen articles on these
> >>distro's. I was wondering if anybody can recommend a souce based distro?
> >>
> >>Thank you,
> >>Harry
> >>

> >Gentoo has worked very well for me.  Been using it for close to 3 years
> now..
> >(The longest I've run ANY one linux distro before I got fed up with it and
> >switched).  My primary machine (down cause it's still in boxes) has never
> been
> >reinstalled,  just kept up to date (weekly or so).
> >
> >The initial installation took the longest of any distro, but I wouldn't
> label
> >it as difficult. Just read the gentoo handbook and be prepared to get your
> >hands a little dirty.
> >
> >Updating the system has been a breeze( "emerge sync; emerge world -uD"), and
> >I've only ran into minor issues (mainly due to me not reading the
> documentation
> >nad doing something to mess up the system)  The gentoo forums are very good
> for
> >solving the little issues that can creep up (esp if you fail to keep the
> >machine reasonable up to date. (at least do it monthly at the very least))
> >

> >Dave J. Andruczyk

> >Yahoo! for Good
> >Donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.
> >http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate3/

Dave J. Andruczyk