Firefox problem

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Sep 20 09:24:11 EDT 2005

I had a problem with Firefox yesterday. The problem was I installed an
app called mail-notification, (with yum) which I believe installed a few
other things. I then noticed that Open Office would crash if  I tried to
you the open dialog within ooffice. I traced the problem to gtk2, which
I then upgraded via yum and installed a bunch of other packages (namely
pango). My ooffice was fine, problem fixed, however, I then went to use
firefox and all my text would not show, same thing for thunderbird.
Needless to say I was like WTF??!!. Anyway, my son Jesse who is always
on the cutting edge of things here said, "oh, I know what that is" and
fixed it in 2 seconds on my pc. Both /usr/bin/firefox and
/usr/bin/thunderbird (or whereever you executables are) contain 2 lines
that need to be uncommented, they are;
MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1
export MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO
 This happened because the pango package got installed/upgraded with
gtk2. Anyway, I thought this might be relevant to you as before I
started the mail-notification and the subsequent yum installs, my
firefox was a bit slow, not to the extremes your seeing but it might be
a clue.