upgrading to gnome 2.12

Jesse Jarzynka denisesballs at thecybersource.com
Wed Sep 7 13:21:21 EDT 2005

anthonyriga wrote:

>The new version of Gnome is out and I wanted to try
>it. How do you upgrade your version of gnome that
>comes with Fedora 4 to the 2.12 version? Any
>suggestions Thanks!

>Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.
>http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate3/

Well I've been keeping my shop box as up to date as possible everyday
with yum, just to see what's being developed, and I'm up to gnome
2.11.90 as of today. I think it's the nrpms repo that upgrades gnome,
here's what to add to your /etc/yum.repos.d/:

_nrpms.repo_:
[nrpms]
name=Fedora Core 4 - i386 - nr production
baseurl=http://yum.nrpms.net/fedora-4-i386/production
failovermethod=priority
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

That should get you up to the latest. I'm not sure how long it takes for
the new version to become available, probably not that long. Be VERY
careful when you upgrade gnome though. A lot of things may break, or
change. Try not to upgrade your gdm too, and the latest version doesn't
seem to be working right for me now, and I haven't had a chance to
figure it out yet. Hope that helps.
--
Jesse Jarzynka
Cyber Source