802.11g madness

Dennis Ruzeski denniruz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 09:23:38 EDT 2005

A gotcha on a lot of the wireless cards on the compatability list is that
it's usually version 1 of the card that works. The other real PITA is that
the outside will have no mention of a version number and next thing you know
you open a box to find MA411v4 on the card. That's the difference between a
nice compatable prism2 chipset and some windows only crap.

I use the following cards in laptops--
Linksys WPC55AG -- atheros chipset; uses madwifi driver
Netgear MA401 -- prism2 chipset; uses orinoco or host_ap driver
D-Link DCF-650W w/ compact flash pcmcia adapter -- prism2 chipset; uses
orinoco or host_ap driver.

I use the Linksys in my main laptop. The other 2 go in laptops with Auditor
Security Toolkit installed for sniffing/WEP cracking and as such, I use the
more versatile host_ap driver.

If you're not sure of a card's chipset, pop it in a laptop with either the
latest Knoppix or the Auditor kit and see what drivers it installs.

Good Luck
--Dennis