911

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Sat Oct 8 11:35:00 EDT 2005

VoIP E911 service is a bit better now, thanks to the FCC raising hell
with VoIP providers.  The issue, originally, is that when you took your
VoIP phone somewhere, and called 911, you *might* have gotten a
non-emergency phone number to anywhere.  In other words, you ordered
service in Buffalo, NY and took your phone with you when you traveled to
Houston, TX.  You slip and fall and are in need of 911, so you call...
only to find out that the 911 number you called was actually redirected
to a non-essential phone number in Buffalo that no one is answering
since it's 2am. This issue happened too many times, many people died
since they themselves, or other people attempted to use VoIP phones for
911... thus prompting the FCC to take action and require VoIP providers
to provide proper 911 services.

The FCC recently stepped in and said VoIP providers MUST provide a
proper 911 solution, or clearly state and repeat several times, and make
the customer sign a waiver stating 911 is not available.  Since people
wouldn't go for that, the typical response of VoIP providers is to ask
customers for the physical address of the VoIP phone system.  Then, they
send any 911 calls to the local 911 center WITH the details you
provide.  Here's the sticky part though....

If you pick up your VoIP phone and take it to Houston, you MUST update
your providers directory information, or else your 911 call WILL go to
the Buffalo address.  The information you give to your provider is sent
to the 911 call center, just the same as if your normal phone made the
call.

Having just moved to Phoenix, AZ ... I opted to buy my Cable TV, Cable
Internet and VoIP service in one package, thus sparing me of a landline
phone for $20 more per month.  I hope this clears up VoIP issues.  Also,
if your VoIP provider is sending your 911 calls to
non-essential/non-emergency phone numbers, report them... it is now
illegal to do so.

 -   Tony