[nflug] any meetings? (fwd)

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Mon Nov 21 10:40:31 EST 2005

JS Kelly wrote:

>Ah -- I didn't realize there was a pattern to the "is there a meeting this
>week" mails (I'm New Around Here). And since I am (new around here) I hope
>you won't take it ill if I ask a few questions. I'm not trying to be
>critical -- so if it sounds so, please don't take it that way.
>
>Poking around the NFLUG web site (and mailing list archives) it seems like
>this -- where someone asks if there will be a meeting and then, as often
>as not, there is none -- is not a new trend. Now that I know that meetings
>are held every third Sunday, I can plan for that in my calendar. But I
>think it would be helpful for others like me (especially those who didn't
>sign up for the mailing list) if there were a calendar posted to the NFLUG
>web site. The front page of the site looks as if it were last updated in
>2003, so for other people who are also New Around Here, this might keep
>them from popping in to a meeting, not being sure if there actually is
>one. I would be happy to code up an HTML calendar of all the third Sundays
>in 2006, if it would be wanted? I think it would also help to be more
>assertive about meetings -- eg to send out an announcement around the
>first of the month stating that "This month's meeting is
>(date/time/address)" rather than wait until the Thursday or Friday before
>the third Sunday to discuss whether there will be one at all.
>
>The third Sunday in November is today, and it has already been established
>that there wasn't a meeting today. The third Sunday next month is December
>18, and although that isn't all that near the 25th, the weeks around
>Christmas tend to be really very busy for me, so I expect I wouldn't be
>able to make that meeting. However, the third Sunday in January is January
>15: is it OK to propose that date as a "plenary meeting" where everyone
>who is reading this mail will come? And we can discuss things like
>speakers and topics and installfests and LinuxWorld Toronto (er, or some
>other, closer conference/meeting that is maybe more convenient -- when I
>say I am new around here, I mean to Buffalo too)? I'd be happy to
>"sponsor" the pizza for everyone who comes, that meeting.
>
>I'm not sure if I agree with Ron that the primary reason for a LUG is
>outreach to new/end-users only, but it's definitely "a" primary reason,
>and, I'd guess that at each LUG meeting there would be some time set aside
>to answer questions for new users? But if we were to start planning in
>January for an Installfest in perhaps April or May (so that the weather is
>nice but school is still in session) we could probably get it written up
>in the Buffalo News & other outlets (and post it to the NFLUG web site),
>which would help with outreach to totally new users (if that is indeed an
>aim of the LUG -- is it?) How do the meetings tend to be structured?
>
>At least every other time that "is there a meeting this month" gets
>discussed, there is a conversation about getting speakers to come to
> [...]
Hello Nora,
Since your new, let me bring you up to speed a little. Yes our lug lacks
in a few areas but you will find many extremely knowledgeable people on
this list who will be more than happy to help you no matter what level
of Linux or computing help you need. And if I may speak for the group,
we are more than happy to hear ideas on better meeting places, forums,
whatever. However, we need to have more than just talk. Ron's "wait and
see" policy is his usual stance and as typical with that attitude, he
has contributed as much. Everyone talks about coming to the meetings and
few show, it can be disappointing to those that have arranged it. Frank
and myself have opened our homes to the meetings in an effort to keep
the meetings going when our usual meeting place(s) were being moved
around, etc.. I have seen Bob repeatedly ask the group, who plans on
coming and what topics are of interest, only to see Josh and maybe 1
other respond. So, my point is this... From a new persons view, I can
completely understand your questions and I too would love to see a more
structured LUG with regular meetings after all, we all LOVE Linux right!
However, for things to change, we really need someone with the time and
ambition to spearhead things and get things going properly. If we all
take the "wait and see" approach, things will never change. I am also
not trying to usurp Bob but he keeps asking for help, so those that can,
should.