[nflug] Lost ability to login as different user

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 19 09:40:19 EST 2005

--- "Robert F. Stockdale IV" <javabob at adelphia.net> wrote:

> You know I was wondering, if instead of login in as a different user, if
> there might be a way to use one of the other virtual terminals as
> another graphical login. Say I've got my workstation screen locked. My
> wife or son wants to go on. I'm not home or I don't want to unlock my
> screen. If they hit say ctrl + alt +F5 they could get a new instance of
> [xdm | kdm | gdm] and login. when I come back to my workstation I hit
> ctrl + alt +F7 and unlock the screen which was never logged out of.
> Is this possible?
> Bob

Yup, anything's possible..  What you need to do is to check around in /etc/X11/

the configuration of it depends on which graphical login manager you use (xdm,
gdm, kdm or other)

for example if you use GDM, edit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf there is a section
called "[servers]"  In there typically you'll see "0=Standard"  This means
start the X server on display 0.0 (the default first one).  If you uncomment
the next line of "1=Standard" as well two gdm's should start, one available on
Ctrl-Alt-F7 and another on Ctrl-Alt-F8.  I jsut tested this and it works OK.
Beware though that Xscreensaver MIGHT prevent the ctrl-Alt-Fx sequence as a
security measure,  try it as I think that's optional and configured by an
Xresource file.

Fomr kdm, xdm and entrance the sequence above should be similar,  check the
files as an experiment to see if you can figure it out based on the above
example..

Dave J. Andruczyk